We interviewed Matatiele’s AusBeauty
Motshabi Tyelele took time out of her busy schedule to answer some of our questions. Catch her on Matatiele Tuesdays at 9:05PM.
Arguably one of the most recognizable faces on television, award winning actress Motshabi Tyelele has become a favourite on Matatiele. She brings a fire to her role as AusBeauty that no other actress could have.
Read what she had to say about the role and more:
1. Did you study drama? If yes, where?
Yes, University of Cape Town.
2. Many viewers want the chance to act on Matatiele. Can you explain what the process of landing the gig was like?
Go to school, be focused and respect the craft. The director asked to see me, I liked the idea, (it spoke to me!) his genius, it would be silly not to support such.
3. Are there any similarities between you and AusBeauty?
Beauty and me? Our beauty is what’s similar and a sense of humour maybe! (wink, wink)
4. How did you prepare for your role?
There’s a lot that goes into preparation of the character. To mention a few steps, first, reading the available scripts is crucial as you begin to see what the story is all about and who your character really is in relation to the environment, other characters and the story in general, … translating from English also meant a lot of hard work in making sure that we were authentic and owned the languages. Discussions with the director to see if we were all on the same page etc.
5. What was the best part about filming Matatiele? And were there any challenges?
I think this production was not only important but was blessed. I guess the best thing was filming in Matatiele … breathtaking, magical, and spiritual all in one! And working with the locals! Challenges? Oh my God, of course there were! But we rose above them!
6. When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing?
Keeping up to speed with what’s happening in the industry, spending time with family… just recharging my batteries.
7. Why should we keep watching Matatiele every Tuesday?
Why not? It is not only fresh, it is the best!
So keep watching Matatiele Tuesdays at 9:05PM.